Standing For Our Community
· Sponsored a resolution urging the Governor, the Florida Legislature and the Information Technology Development Task Force to support efforts to establish a high-speed network access point in Miami-Dade County.
· Sponsored a resolution supporting the Greater Miami Convention and Visitors Bureau in urging the Florida Legislature to pass legislation allowing for local licensing of tour guides.
· Sponsored a resolution creating the Miami-Dade County television, film and entertainment production incentive program; directing the county mayor to implement the program and establish guidelines to attract television, film and entertainment productions through rebates on expenditures within the county; providing minimum application requirements and procedures; providing for a maximum per production rebate under certain circumstances; providing for program evaluation.
· Sponsored a resolution directing the county mayor to provide courtesy notice prior to expiration of vaccinations and license tags for animals required by sections 5-6 and 5-7 of the code of Miami-Dade County, Florida.
· Sponsored a resolution directing the county manager to establish rules allowing Miami-Dade County employees one hour per week to mentor or participate in other school or community-related activities.
· Co-Sponsored a resolution urging the Miami-Dade County School Board to close all high school campuses during lunch hour.
Standing Against Discrimination
· Sponsored an ordinance providing health insurance eligibility and other benefits to the domestic partners of Miami-Dade County employees; providing for the registration of domestic partnerships; establishing domestic partner rights of visitation.
· Sponsored a resolution urging the Florida Legislature to enact SB 120 or HB 45, entitled the ''Florida competitive workforce act,'' or similar legislation that would prohibit discrimination in Florida on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity or expression.
· Sponsored an ordinance amending the Code of Miami-Dade County, Florida to locally adopt the spirit underlying the principles of the convention on the elimination of all forms of discrimination against women, an international treaty; to authorize the commission auditor to gather data regarding economic development, health and safety, and education of women in Miami-Dade County; to authorize the Miami-Dade County commission for women to analyze such data and to report to this board; providing severability, inclusion in the code, and an effective date.
· Sponsored a resolution authorizing the county mayor to allow county employees to contribute the value of accrued annual and holiday leave time to employees of the county who are related to Trayvon Martin and authorizing the county mayor to arrange for the allocation of leave from the various departments to the Martin family.
Standing For Our Environment
· As a State Legislator, sponsored the Miami River Commission which created an 18-member board of Miami River stakeholders, including elected officials, neighborhood representatives, marine industrial business owners, environmentalists and members-at-large.
· Sponsored a resolution amending Resolution R-156-99 requesting input from the Miami River Commission before the Miami-Dade County board of commissioners considers a resolution or ordinance impacting the Miami River.
· Sponsored a resolution urging the Florida Legislature to create a separate category of vessel speed violations in manatee protection zones that carries a higher penalty.
· Sponsored a resolution urging the Florida Legislature to enact SB 166 or similar legislation prohibiting hydraulic fracturing in the state of Florida.
· Sponsored a resolution urging the Florida Legislature to continue to support and provide a dedicated state funding source for beach renourishment projects; urging the Florida Legislature to increase the amount of state funding available to support the growing number of statewide beach renourishment projects in order to protect Florida’s shorelines, beach tourism industry, and erosion control capabilities.
· Sponsored a resolution authorizing the county mayor to develop, negotiate, execute, and accept certifications of lands, consent of use agreements, easements in favor of Miami-Dade County and other land related documents and agreements in order to authorize and facilitate beach renourishment projects; and directing the county mayor to make periodic reports to this board on beach renourishment.
Standing Against Human Trafficking
· Sponsored a resolution directing the county mayor to post human trafficking awareness signs in public areas at county-owned facilities and to provide a status report to the board.
Standing For Our Safety
· As a State Legislator, sponsored the Evelyn Gort and All Fallen Officers Career Criminal Act of 1995 – which allows a Court to impose enhanced sentencing for violent career criminals.
· Sponsored a Resolution urging the Florida Legislature to amend Florida law to protect the identity of callers to crime stoppers, such as by providing that no identifying information of crime stoppers’ callers be recorded in any medium.
Standing For Our Seniors
· As a State Legislator, sponsored a resolution for constitutional amendment to allow counties and municipalities to grant additional homestead tax exemption not exceeding $25,000 to certain persons 65 years of age or older whose household income did not exceed a specified amount.
· Sponsored a resolution urging voters to support constitutional amendment urging the Florida Legislature to enact implementing of legislation allowing counties to grant an additional homestead exemption.
· Sponsored an ordinance creating the Golden Passport which provides free transportation for senior citizens.
· Co-Sponsored an ordinance providing for an additional homestead exemption for qualifying seniors.
· Sponsored a resolution expressing the intent to implement a reduction in assessed value for qualifying living quarters for parents or grandparents.
· Sponsored a resolution directing the county manager to develop a program regarding signage warning motorists to exercise caution in areas with significant elderly population.
· Co-Sponsored an ordinance relating to building permits, fees and charges; amending the Code of Miami-Dade County to exempt senior citizens from the payment of fees under certain circumstances.
· Sponsored a resolution establishing the save our seniors program, under which seniors who reside in Miami-Dade County, are 65 years of age or older and have applied for and received Florida’s homestead exemption for seniors, are eligible to receive a grant in the amount of $100 per household, which may be used to offset the cost of county services, including water and sewer.
· Sponsored a resolution directing the county mayor to provide a signature line on all Golden and Patriot Passports issued after the effective date herein.
· Sponsored an ordinance relating to contractor certificates of competency; amending the Code of Miami-Dade County; modifying the requirements for exemption from continuing education requirements for renewals by persons who have reached the age of 65 years; modifying the condition that the person has never been found guilty of criminal or civil violation of laws governing the contracting profession to provide instead that the person not be found guilty of such violation during a certain period immediately preceding the application for exemption; providing severability, inclusion in the code and an effective date.
Standing For Tenant Rights
· Sponsored a resolution urging the Florida Legislature to strengthen condominium association laws to prevent fraud and malfeasance and to allocate additional funding and powers to the Florida department of business and professional regulation related to condominium associations.
· Sponsored a resolution directing the county mayor to coordinate with municipal law enforcement agencies within the county to determine their desire, willingness and ability to participate in a condominium fraud network for the purpose of sharing information and resources to assist in the current elimination and future prevention of condominium association fraud, and to present a status report, including recommendations, to this board within 180 days.
· Sponsored an ordinance relating to water and sewer connections requiring installation of separate water meters for the commercial and residential portions of newly-constructed mixed use buildings in Miami-Dade water and sewer department service area; providing severability, inclusion in the code, and an effective date.
Standing For Transparency
· Sponsored a resolution directing the county mayor to establish a check register of county expenditures that can be accessed via the county website; and requiring the county mayor to ensure that all data added to the website remains accessible to the public for a certain time.
· Sponsored a resolution requesting and directing the county mayor to prepare a plan to increase the transparency of the county government by posting on the county’s website in an on-going manner the public records of the county that may prove useful to the public
· Sponsored an ordinance relating to lobbying; amending the Code of Miami-Dade County, Florida, to require that lobbyists register within three business days of being retained or before engaging in any lobbying, whichever shall occur first; providing severability, inclusion in the code, and an effective date.
· Sponsored a resolution directing the county mayor and or his designee to develop a web-based online advertising system to ensure that all legally required advertisements and public notices are placed on the Miami-Dade web portal prior to contemporaneously to being published in newspapers in order to better communicate with the residents of Miami-Dade County.
· Sponsored a resolution directing the county mayor to prepare a report analyzing the Miami-Dade Water and Sewer Department’s water and sewer rate structure for buildings that have both commercial and residential uses, and to present such report to the board.
· Sponsored a resolution urging the Florida Legislature to enact SB1494, HB351 or similar legislation that would promote prescription drug pricing transparency.
Standing For Our Veterans
· Co-sponsored the Patriot Passport, under which Miami-Dade County residents who are honorably discharged veterans and whose household income does not exceed the standard threshold applied to determine eligibility for the low-income senior citizens additional homestead exemption.